Thursday, October 05, 2006

Life continued

WEll, twice in one week is a HUGE deal everyone, so just to let youy know,it wont probably happen often. Today we took a feildtrip into town to 'discover' the market. All I can say was WOW! Beans.peanuts/cocnuts....it was awesome, and of course I took some pics...The only thing that truly disgusts me as of right now is the sardines. I came home from school yesterday and my mama asked if I like fish-I told her yes, not knowing what lie ahead. She then offered me these minnow looking fish in a mango paste(it looked like human guts). I told her I wasn't hungry but she insted I try at least one...I chewed on that stupid minnow for about 5 minutes, about ready to gag. I was just about to say I didn't really like it when sh told me it was a family favorite and that everyone loves them. yippee! :( Then today at the market I SAW where these sardines came from-they are in HUGE piles in these flat baskets...basking in the sun...gross gross gross! I also tried cocnut milk for the very first time with the cocnut flesh-it was AWESOME! That I will do again hopefully soon.
Back to the education system. This place needs some work. 60 students 1 classroom. no chalkboard-just chalkboard paint on the wall, some students are sitting on a bench meant for 6 and they are 16. Some students are sleeping b/c they had to leave their house at 5am to get to school on foot by 745. Some are sharing books with those lucky enough to have money to buy them. The problem with the secondary schools here is that the govt made it a requirement that everyone should be able to go to praimary school and get and education. They opened a lot of new schools, so secondary teachers, money and supplies all went there. Now the students are older, mroe and more secondary schools are being built but with lack of teachers and neccesary things. The teacher on duty is in charge of being janitor, principal, discipliarian, role taker and teacher. It switches each week, but with the Aids epedemic in full force, so many teachers dont even show up let alone students. Thats where the PC comes into action-we get to teach at secondary schools that need teachers. Basically, the things we write on the board, the students copy and consider their textbook. Taht means no mistakes, and perfect diagrams. no pressure, right? Besides the fact that you will have to teach in 'special' english...meaning that most students don't speak english very well. Secondary school in taught only in English -so the students who dont know english suffer. If we talk extraordinaly slow, some pupils might get a grasp of what we are saying, and can explain tot he rest of the class.....I'll let you know more when this happens:) I'll find out in 2 weeks!
Time here is so weird-the first week it felt like I had been here for 5 months, and this week flew by...hard to beleive that this SUnday I will have been gone 3 weeks already!
My mom had asked wabout my living conditions-my room has a cement floor, 2 largewindows that dont have glass-I have a screen and a metal thing so robbers can't break in on the outside of the screen. My ceiling is wood paneling and I have a large bed(usually sleeps a family of 5). My toilet is a 'western'...very unusual...but it doesn't flush so I have to pour a bucket of water into the basin to vlush it.....any other questions?
I ahve a new kitten 'doto'..dream...he got fleas pretty bad, but he is SO CUTE! keeps me company at night...love you all! until next week!

1 Comments:

Blogger Tanzaman said...

Pet Update: Bailey is as affectionate as she has ever been, and keeps me company at night. She doesn't even use her bed anymore. Herbie is the happiest I've ever seen him, like he's a kitten. We let him go freely from the basement to upstairs, so he has a huge kingdom to which he can roam. He is infatuated with these mice he keeps finding, and it is keeping his attention frequently.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home