Friday, February 16, 2007

Its not a boil

Well, the diagnosis is out. It was not a boil. it was not a tumor(thank god). It was no worm. drum roll please.......it was:
Pyomyositis, also known as tropical pyomyositis or myositis tropicans is a bacterial infection of the skeletal muscles which results in a pus-filled abscess. Pyomyositis is more common in tropical areas but can also occur in the temperate zones. Pyomyositis is most often caused by the bacterium Staphylococcus aureus. The infection can affect any skeletal muscle, but most often infects the large muscle groups such as the quadriceps or gluteal muscles. In tropical regions, the infection often follows minor trauma, while in temperate zones the infection typically occurs in people with immune deficiencies. The abscess within the muscle must be drained surgically and antibiotics given to fully clear the infection

How I got it baffles the doctors. One doctor had seen quite a few cases while working in the bush, but it was difficult to diagnose in me because of my syptoms. I Perhaps because I had pnemeunai before my immune system was weak? I dont know. Perhaps because I just live in the bush? who really knows. but I NEVER want to ever have one again. That was the worst experience I have had medically. Horrid pain in my chest muscles. and they had to SQUEEZE the pus out-pushing on tender, swollen bruised muscles. gaah. it was wretched. On the upnote, I have a wonderful friend who has a wonderful conection on a island off the coast of Dar that I will recover on. I have no idea how I can repay him.

Last night was a bittersweet night for me. My very best friend in Tanzania, my sister and my confidant, was sent home due to logistics of paperwork in a silly beuracracy. A talented, motivated, inspirational and driven volunteer sent home for a trivial and assinine reason. We spent our last night together remembering our crazy adventures and laughing at how much we have grown up in just the last 5 months we have been here. Laura, I love you. I will continue to love you and I know you will do amazing things with your amazing amount of energy. Tanzania has lost a beautiful soul. Take care of yourself. You will always remain in our hearts.

I go with a heavy heart and a releived heart. I am going to miss a great friend, and I do not have a tumor. to every good there is a bad-thank you for your prayers for me. Please say some for my friend.

1 Comments:

Blogger GravityThread said...

Hey Jenny this is Greg R. Just got the news about Laura. It's a little hard to believe for us here in the South. What the hell happened?

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home